Thursday, January 28, 2010

Branded

The book Branded describes in depth the methods that companies use to get thier brand name known. These companies or brands locate trendspotters. The way they go about this is by seeking out the "cool kids" in schools and feeding them their products as long as the kids put in a good word for the brand to thier peers. They look for kids who can easily influence the other kids and ones who are on the cutting edge of fashion or whats "in". Also, they use these trendspotters to give the companies information on how to better itself, and sell more. The trendspotters are young people who can provide an insight into what they and their peers want.

It is important to understand and identify with your audience because they want to feel like you care about them. I know that if a brand is trying to sell something to me and they don't make any attempt to arouse my interests and they just basically say, I just want your money, then something inside me makes me not want to buy from them. If a brand is involved in a cause that i believe in or makes me feel like they genuinely can relate to me and want to better my life, then I'm more likely to buy from them. To me, its just human nature. People want to feel like they are understood and cared about. If that care isn't present then the person will feel disconnected to the product and brand- teens/tweens especially.

Research for brands is conducted in ways that aren't super obvious. Sometimes company representatives will just simply ask the consumer about thier lifestyles and maybe even what they think about the products. A lot of times they can do research without paying the informers, because generally people and especially young people want to put in thier two cents and maybe make an impact. Other ways of doing research is to try out free products to the consumer and just see what the general feedback is, did it catch on, did it not..

Like the book states very clearly, teens/tweens are the most powerful sector of the market. They aren't old enough to work but still don't want to be completly under their parents wing, and the brands play on the fact that this group is very insecure and wants nothing more than just to be accepted by thier peers. I know I personally was and still a tad bit insecure and who doesn't have a desire to fit in?? I remember wanting nothing more than an Abercrombie and Fitch shirt when I was in the 8th grade, or even now not really wanting to buy off brand tennis shoes. Brands rely on this certain "need" and they count on the parents of these children to answer to those needs.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you everyone dose have a want to fit in. On the other hand it is sad but true that kids think that brand name clothes and FOLLOWING there "cool" friends help them fit in. I think that with the comeing generations we can somehwat break this trend looking decent and clean can be acheved without wearing 300$ worth of clothing in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People do want to feel like they are understood and cared about.Thats why i agree with what you have said here. It is good. No criticism. Very good.

    ReplyDelete