Feminism
Overview: Feminism cannot be defined, and there are several diffrent types. Women, especially African American women, are classified and oppressed. Women must push back against stereotypes.
Argument: Don't reinforce misogynistic behavior. Use intellect to be confident in yourself as a woman and demand respect
Example: The 4 controlling images: the mammy, the matriarch, the welfare mother, and the jezebel. If you stand against and show the opposite of those images, you can change them.
Terms: Mitigate- to make less severe
Perils- exposed to danger, risk
Analysis: I agree with Collins personally, I feel that if you break the stereotypes then you can change the outlook.
The Badman
Overview: This image depends on 3 criteria: violence, sex, and material items
Argument: Is the basis of why hip-hop is mysonginistic in nature, and it is a popular image to have in the hip-hop world.
Example: Muhammad Ali- his lifestyle and swagger mirrored that of a "badman"
Terms: Hypermachismo- an overly strong or exaggerated sense of manliness
Prowess- an exceptional or superior ability, skill, or strength
Analysis: I feel like this image is unhealthy, and untrue. Most of the rappers rapping about a lot of this stuff, probably aren't really the "badman" they portray.
The Beauty and Objectifacation of Women
Overview: Ogbar disscusses the objectifacation in hip-hop videos, with all the sexual dancing and gyrating in almost zero clothing, the shape of a woman's body, especially a black woman's, and how black women percieve their own beauty
Argument: Women are objectified in this music and this also feeds into the misogynistic way. It is also how standards are set for women to see what the image of "beautiful" is.
Example: Sir Mix-a-lot's Baby Got Back- the lyrics make women without "back" feel inferior
Terms: Colloquial- involving or using conversation
millenia- plural for millineum
Analysis: I agree with what he is saying, this music and videos do dictate what beautiful is, and women see this all around them
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think women and men deserve the same amount of respect. Like we said in class this morning, the women are often working a job and raising the kids. Often the men do not respect this unless they have to experience it. Likewise, women may not respect all that the men do until they try it for a day. My parents have both always worked full time and my mom primarily raised the seven of us as well.
ReplyDeleteI think that if they are going to promote rap music to young teens that they should rap about good things in society rather than sex, drugs, and violence. It is sad that the rappers do not seem to care that they are a bad influence on our young people.
Do you listen to a lot of rap? This class was the first exposure I had had to it. I was appalled by the words to the songs I heard and the ones I read in Ogbar’s book. I am glad we only have one more week of studying it.
It is shameful that they use naked women as their image in hip-hop. I knew those pictures existed on the internet, but I never thought we would be viewing them in a college English class! Why can’t we view people as beautiful with their clothes on?
I think your group did a good job with the analysis. I think breaking it down into sections and analyzing them did help us all to better understand the book .