TO: Amy Chastain
FROM: Paige Foster
SUBJECT: English 108
DATE: May 7, 2010
Writer’s Memo
This semester in English 108 I found the work to be fairly easy, but it definitely required me to put in more effort than the English 104 class last semester. I enjoyed a lot of the topics we covered this semester, but I think the basis of English 108 was my problem. It is a research based class, and research papers are the toughest things for me to write. I have trouble usually finding sources that relate to my topic, and then all the MLA rules that I have to follow, really gets my mind off the topic and more on the format.
Using a blog as a tool was pretty neat. It definitely was nice to always go to the classroom blog and see the criteria for the assignments that were due. That was a very big help to me. I like to have something online that I can reference anytime I need, rather than a paper source I am likely to lose. As for blogging myself, I thought it was pretty easy and a nice way to get points. It saves paper, and gives a chance for other students to give you immediate feedback. Overall, the blog was a great idea and a very resourceful tool.
The readings were all very interesting in topics, but some things were hard to relate to like Hip-Hop Revolution or the super rich kids that are discussed in parts of Branded. I definitely learned a lot during this semester. I learned that we live in a “raunch culture” and more and more woman are degrading themselves, I learned that brands affect our everyday lives more than we realize, and marketers will do almost anything to get money, and I learned where hip-hop got its origins and the importance of authenticity.
The papers were, of course, the most difficult part for me. It is mostly my fault because I procrastinate too long and get myself mentally upset over writing the paper. I dread research papers, and honestly I think it is because it requires me to do some research. I can write all day about my personal opinion, but when I have to quote someone else’s, in a certain format, I cringe. I think if I put more effort into my papers this semester they would have turn out 10 times better than they did, but I got down on myself and let them get the best of me. I know I did ok in this class, but I know I could have had an A.
Student led classes were a completely new idea to me, and to be honest, I was really nervous about how I would get up in front of everyone, alone, and teach a subject. However, it was a wonderful experience, and I feel like I did a great job, as well as all the other students in the class. I really enjoyed when they would present. I felt like the student led classes helped me learn more about the readings.
Some things I liked were that you asked us a class how we wanted our papers graded, you were open for conferences at any time, you were flexible and understanding, and you used lots of relevant examples from today to help us understand the readings. I especially enjoyed little video clips and readings that accompanied our discussions.
Overall, I am glad I was required to take this class. It really does teach a lot of skills that people will use in the future. To write, and to write with sources that back up your opinion is a very valuable skill, and I am glad to have learned it. Also, the MLA formatting, while frustrating, is a very valuable thing to have in my knowledge. It gives a research paper structure, and credibility.
No comments:
Post a Comment